Whether you are just getting started, interested in learning more about oils, or thinking about trying a new oil company, I hope this will cover the basics of what, why and how!
I am a fairly consistent essential oil user. I have been using oils in homemade soaps, lotions and lip balms for many years but never gave them much thought other than to use for the aroma, other than Melaleuca (Tea Tree Oil) for skin issues. It wasn’t until one of my children had digestive issues that I started learning more and using essential oils regularly. That opened a door to a natural healing and living! I am now convinced that there is power and great benefit in these amazing oils!
How can you use essential oils?
- Aromatic– Diffusion is one of the most popular ways to enjoy the aromatic benefits of oils
- Topical– You can apply them directly to the skin or mix them with a carrier oil or other personal care product
- Internal– You can add to beverages, take them in veggie caps, or use them in your favorite recipe.
There are tons of essential oils out there for sale, but they are not all created equal! Please, if you decided to use oils, make sure you are using a pure, safe brand. That does not mean go to Walmart and buy the $5 bottle because it seems like a good deal! For one, you are getting ripped off because it has a lot more in it than essential oils! Second, it is a potent punch of not only essential oil but of chemicals and pesticides which don’t belong on or in your body!
After much research, I decided to use doTerra Essential Oils. Here are a few reasons for my choice:
- I believe in dōTERRA’s integral commitment to purity – using independent 3rd party testing for every single batch of essential oils and testing the oil seven times throughout the distillation process. The beyond-organic-standard of quality is what I trust to use with my family. *see the bottom of this blog for additional information on Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade. Each bottle has a number on the bottom so that you can look up test results and sourcing information on Sourced to You.
- Each oil is sourced from its native environment. The lavender comes from France; the Frankincense comes from Somalia, Vetiver from Haiti… Growing a plant in its indigenous region gives the highest therapeutic structure needed to safely and effectively support the body.
- I love that dōTERRA is committed to working directly with growers to cut out the middlemen. They pay their growers a fair wage, and grow the crops in a sustainable manner; we call this ‘co-impact sourcing.’ (think fair-trade coffee, but with essential oils) **see the bottom of this blog for more detailed information on co-impact sourcing.
- I love the support! There is SO MUCH solid, research based info available to dōTERRA members. There is a never-ending stream of printables, websites, audios, webinars, videos, and live events for those who want to learn. I’ve learned SO much about essential oils this way.
- I love dōTERRA’s Wellness Philosophy. Eat well, get lots of sleep, exercise, and manage your life and stress.
- I also love their Healing Hands Foundation. Its mission is to bring healing and hope to the world, for lives free of disease and poverty, and ultimately to teach impoverished cultures to be self-reliant. ***See more information at end of blog.
- I feel doTerra has the best quality for the best price through the Loyalty Rewards Program, similar to a Costco membership, you get the wholesale price of 25% off as well as earn up to 30% in redeemable points and points back in shipping as well as monthly free products. But you do not have to make a monthly order to be a wholesale member!
If you are just starting out and want to buy the most used oils, those oils that you use on a daily or weekly basis and just love, this is my top 10 list:
- Lavender: soothing and calming, I use this to diffuse at night for sleep, topically on burns, bites and boo-boos
- Melaleuca (Tea Tree Oil): soothing and cleansing, I use this on my skin, surface cleaning, in shampoo to promote a healthy scalp, and mouth rinse
- Frankincense: Possibly my favorite oil! It is renewing, rejuvenating, grounding and beautifying. I apply to my face daily for reducing imperfections, add it into my body lotion, apply to all of our feet at nigh for cellular and immune function support.
- Peppermint: cooling, energizing, bug repellent, I use this often for head tension relief, to open sinuses, spray on for a cooling effect, as well as to repel unwanted pests.
- Lemon: cleansing and uplifting, I use it often to clean surfaces, purify the air, or added to food and beverages.
- doTerra On Guard Blend: Love this one! I diffuse this often to boost immunity as well as roll it on when we go out, dilute for a surface cleaner, spray on grocery cart handles. And I think it smells like fall!
- doTerra Digestzen Digestive Blend: This has been a huge help to our household! Even my husband, who is leery of most products I try on him, says this helps him immediately and it has eased my child’s stomach discomfort! It reduces bloating, gas and indigestion!
- doTerra Deep Blue Soothing Blend: I massage this on cramps, place a few drops in the bath to soothe aching muscles, and mix with cream for joint pain.
- doTerra Breathe Respiratory Blend: I diffuse this when we have allergy or breathing issues, mix with coconut oil to rub on a congested chest, inhale to open airways and help relieve sinus pain.
- Clove or Roman Chamomile: I have used this for tooth and gum pain relief, both have a nice numbing effect.
In addition to oils, I am a huge fan of PB Assist Probiotic Defense Formula which as pre-biotic fiber and six strains of probiotic organisms. I am terrible about eating foods that are natural in preobiotics! And now there is a yummy children’s powder as well and it tastes like candy, no joke, like a pixie stick! My other most used and loved products are the On Guard Natural Whitening Toothpaste and On Guard Cleaner Concentrate. It is actually all I clean with now. I have also been able to switch to a face care line that is not full of nasty chemicals!
Join our mail list for free resources, updates and giveaways!
There is a world of learning out there for everyone! Here are the websites I use the most to research and educate myself on self-care:
-My FAVORITE essential oil book-The Essential Life
– Sew Grown– adorable essential oil carrying cases
Interested in using doTerra Essential Oils? Click here for more information!
*Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade: This ensures there are not any chemicalresidue such as pesticides, herbicides, extenders or solvents in the oils. Oils failing this test would be rejected. The CPTG oils must be:
-Pure and natural, with aromatic compounds carefully extracted from plants
-Free from fillers or artificial ingredients; no dilution of active qualities
-Free of contaminants, pesticides, or chemical residues
-Rigorously tested for standards of chemical composition
-Cross tested using mass spectrometry and gas chromatography to ensure exact purity and composition potency
-Sourced by a global network of leading essential oil chemists and growers to ensure correct species, growth in ideal environments, and that raw plant materials were carefully harvested at the right time
**Co-Impact Sourcing: Maintaining the high standard of quality set by dōTERRA® for purity, potency, and consistency of our essential oils involves following a proven process that yields industry leading quality. The first step in the process starts with the plants themselves.
dōTERRA uses a global network of artisans to provide the raw materials—sourcing—used for essential oil production. Where a plant is grown has a major impact on its constitution, which in turn determines its potency. Using local artisans who have grown the source plants for generations ensures that the plants are not only properly cared for, but also grown in an environment that maximizes the essential oils’ potential.
Additionally, harvesting the right part of the plant at the right time is a major determiner in the quality of an essential oil. Growers have discovered over generations proper harvesting secrets that increase yield and quality of the essential oil.
Using local artisans to source the raw materials for essential oils has the added benefit of creating industry for that particular community. In many cases, the harvesting of essential oil source plants has created jobs and opportunity where previously there was none. In this way, dōTERRA is helping health-conscious individuals find safe alternatives while also lifting entire communities and giving them hope for the future.
***The Healing Hands Foundation has been involved in many projects, including the following:
-Micro-credit loans providing renewable funding for entrepreneurs in developing communities.
-Clean water wells and programs.
-Building and revitalizing schools and clinics.
-Medical equipment and resources for hospitals and clinics.
-Education on hygiene and health.